As being distinct from training for Buddhist monastics, the Department of Buddhist Studies is one of departments of a comprehensive university in which the department is an academic oriented study based institution. All full-time students live at dormitories provided by the department studying and living together in a life of academy and well life-discipline. With such life-style, students cultivate themselves by behaving in positive attitudes toward others and well manners with good personalities such as being with others in a harmonious relationship, well life-discipline, be responsible for both self and others, and respect for others with dignity and honesty. In terms of courses offered at the department, other than courses on Buddhist studies for academic research such as concepts, history, and doctrinal studies, more courses on applied perspectives such as temple guidance, Buddhist counselling, etc. are offered as well. In addition, double-majors as cross-disciplinary courses of Buddhism in combination with courses of other majors, such as media, product and media design, etc., not only broadens students’ views of study, but also that it enhances students with an ability to incorporate Buddhist studies into other fields as their career in the future.
Features of the study:
1. Directly apply for and admission: Application and admission by the Department of Buddhist Studies. Students can apply for the undergraduate program with a qualification of senior high school degree.
2. Guaranteed funding offered: The department offers each student with full funding in NT $100,000 each year guaranteed in various studying duration based on programs: four years for the undergraduate program, two years for each of the MA and the PhD programs.
3. Enhancing foreign language skill: Enhance students’ language skill as well as that of enriching and broadening their views from cultural exchanges.
4. Various opportunities on study and language exchange abroad: The department offers various opportunities for students to study abroad, including double-degrees, language study exchange, and practicum.
5. Various practicum opportunities for future job marketing competition: Various practicum opportunities offered by Fo Guang Shan while it will also increase job marketing opportunities offered by Fo Guang Shan for future career plan after degree is awarded.
6. Good environment for both studying and living: sufficient study and research sources with good facilities, including dormitory, restaurants, lecturing halls, computer rooms, meditation hall, etc.
7. Complete curriculum on Buddhist studies including programs on undergraduate, MA in Chinese track, MA in English track, and PhD. Thus, students will receive a complete academic discipline on Buddhist studies.
1. 2+2 program: Two years studying at Fo Guang University and two years at some other universities consolidated with our department. Students who complete all requirements in four or more years for 2+2 program will be awarded double-degrees in bachelor level.
2. Scholarships are offered for students with a strong potentiality in academic research and study for study abroad and/or language exchange program.
3. Job marketing for academic study includes: teaching, academic study, and editing and compiling Buddhist canon.
4. With the Center for Buddhist Studies, important academic research projects, international conferences, and academic journal articles publishing are held yearly and regularly as maintaining connections with scholars worldwide. Jobs opportunities are offered.
5. Associated job marketing fields include:
a. Cultural media with Buddhism: journalists, activities planning, products design with cultural perspectives and creativity;
b. Temple guidance: guidance for temple visiting, art galleries, exhibitions, museums, Buddhist monuments, the Fo Guang Shan Buddha Museum.
c. Administration: Temple and general administration, Water Drop teahouse administration, social welfare institutions, non-profit organizations.
d. Teaching associated with Buddhism: Hospice, spiritual counseling, Buddhist textual translation, Chinese language instructing, academic study on Buddhism, instructor on Buddhism.